This afternoon, under advisement from Washington State Department of Health, Governor Inslee closed all schools in the state of Washington through Friday, April 24, to help combat the spread of COVID-19. Based on this information, Kelso School District is closing all of its schools beginning Tuesday, March 17 (Monday, March 16, for Wallace Elementary). Schools are already closed on Monday, March 16 for trimester break. At this time, we plan to return to school Monday, April 27.
We take any decision to close schools very seriously, recognizing that closures can pose difficulties for families and disrupt children’s education. It was one made thoughtfully and with support from a number of district and community leaders.
We know the uncertainty our families and staff may be feeling. As always, the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our top priority.
- Athletics/ Activities: Effective immediately, ALL athletics and morning/afternoon/evening and weekend school activities will be canceled through the closure time frame.
- Food Services: Kelso School District will provide school meals to all students throughout the closure. The district will inform families on Wednesday, March 18, about the locations and distribution times. Anticipated start date is Monday, March 23.
- Child Care: Families should begin planning for long-term child care options. We are working diligently on what the district will be able to provide and anticipate having more information on this in the next week.
- Learning: We will not be supplying learning packets and students will not be held responsible for missed work during the closure.
- Make-up Days: Make-up days will be announced at a later date. Per the Governor’s directive, the school year will not extend beyond June 19. The district will apply for a state waiver for missed days that cannot be made up before June 19.
We will continue to provide updates on this rapidly developing situation to our families in several ways:
- Notifications via the Kelso School District app (download for free)
- Website: https://www.kelso.wednet.edu/
- Facebook and Twitter: @KelsoSchools