KHS DAILY BULLETIN................MAY 2018
TESTING SCHEDULE FOR MAY:
Tuesday - Sophomores will be taking the SBA for Math. Testing will start at 7:50, if you have any questions, please see your counselor. Also, Tuesday, Seniors who have not met math standard will be taking the End of Course.
Thursday - Juniors and Seniors who have not met the Math Standard for graduation, will be taking the SBA. Testing will start at 7:50. If you have any questions, please see your counselor.
Please Note: Students who took the Math SBA in trimester 2 do not have to test again this spring. If you mistakenly received a letter, please see your counselor.
May 22nd and 24th - Smarter Balance for ELA: This will include all Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors who have not met standard. Testing will begin at 7:50. The ELA CAT portion requires earbuds or a headset, if you would like to bring your own, please do so. KHS has some, but not many to loan to students.
For all students who are not testing: This is a reminder that the only bus run will be at normal bus run times. If you don't test and come to school you will need to go to one of the non testing activities.
Angel Closet provides formal dresses and accessories to high school girls in Longview, Kelso and surrounding communities for winter ball, at no cost!
Our dress shop has changing rooms and dresses in all sizes and styles! 1811 Washington Way, Longview
Ministry of Valley Christian Fellowship.....For more information call Angel Closet at 360-747-7178 or Check us out on Facebook
The next Giveaways are:
MAY 18TH @ 3-6pm
MAY 19TH @ 10am-1pm
If you want to ride the bus home with a friend you will need your parents to give this info to the office staff for your bus permit to be approved:
-Name of the student you will be riding home with
-Bus number of the student you are riding with
-The address of the student where you will be dropped off
*If your parent does not supply ALL OF THESE ITEMS……..your bus permit will be denied!!!
JUNE 6 SENIORS LAST DAY OF CLASSES!
JUNE 8 SNOW MAKE UP DAY
JUNE 11 SNOW MAKE UP DAY
JUNE 11 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
KHS TESTING SCHEDULE:
May 15 AP CALCULUS A/B & B/C LATE START
May 15 EOC Math Retakes A7/A9
2018 who have not met graduation standard in Math
May 17 SBA SMARTER BALANCE MATH LATE START
All 2018 not yet met level 3/Any 2019 not yet taken or passed/All 2020
May 17 AP WORLD HISTORY
May 22 SBA SMARTER BALANCE ELA LATE START
All LA 10B(2019) Tri 3/Students of 2018 & 2017 who have not met standard
May 23 SBA SMARTER BALANCE ELA A9
Make up Day
May 23 LATE AP CHEMISTRY
May 24 SBA SMARTER BALANCE ELA LATE START
All LA B(2019) Tri 3/Students of 2018 & 2017 who have not met standard
May 24 LATE AP US HISTORY/WORLD HISTORY
May 25 LATE AP CALCULUS A/B B/C--ENGLISH L/C---US GOVT/POLITICS
May 25 SBA SMARTER BALANCE ELA A9
Make up Day
May 30 STAMP A7/A9
- STUDENT DRIVERS........IF YOU TURN IN A PARKING PERMIT APPLICATION, YOU WILL NOW BE ON A WAITING LIST. The General Parking passes are now GONE! If you bring in a parking permit application you will be put on a waiting list and will need to either PARK AT THE CHURCH OR ON ALLEN ST.until a parking space opens up. Parking permits MUST BE DISPLAYED in your front windshield to park in the KHS parking lot. Each vehicle that you drive will need a sticker, no swapping stickers between vehicles. THIS YEAR, STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARK IN THE LOT BEHIND RITE AID, YOU WILL BE TOWED!.
June 1-2nd Spring Showcase Doors open 6:30pm/Show at 7:00pm
May 15th – Band Concert, 7 pm @ LCC
May 16th – Orchestra Concert, 7 pm @ LCC
June 2nd – Guest Artist Jazz Concert, 7 pm @ LCC
Keep up with current sports activities by going to
- CLICK ON K FOR KELSO
- AND SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
Seniors in need of transcripts, be sure that you do not have any fines or we will not be able to provide an official transcript for scholarships or sending to colleges.
In In order for students in the graduating “Class of 2018” to earn a diploma and participate in graduation ceremonies, students MUST
fulfill ALL American Government coursework including a community service project and final exit presentation.
Students are required to participate in twenty (20) hours of community service at a NON- PROFIT agency as a component of the American Government curriculum which is a graduation requirement. Students may choose the agency at which they will volunteer their time. Students are encouraged to complete their hours prior to their senior year. Summer is a great time to complete the service hours. A list of available volunteer opportunities are available in the Career Center. Please encourage your student to get ahead for their senior year by completing their hours this summer!
This is not a new requirement, it is simply a change to the process in which it is completed. Students are given class time each Wednesday during American Government to work on their final presentation.
COMMUNITY SERVICE REQUIREMENTS:
1. Hours can begin the summer of your sophomore year going into your junior year of school.
2. Hours must be complete through one agency.
3. Hours are to be done OUTSIDE of class time and the school day.
4. Students cannot get paid or receive any extra credit for their hours.
5. Hours must be at a NON-PROFIT agency.
6. Students cannot volunteer for a neighbor or relative, and a relative cannot be their supervisor.
EXIT PRESENTATION REQUIREMENTS (below is a general outline of what is covered in presentation):
· Self-Introduction: Introduce yourself, family info, school, classes, clubs, sports, hobbies, job, etc.
· Introduce Service Project: Agency name, mission and brief history, why did student volunteer?
· Growth: What skills did you learn, can you use them in your future, would you volunteer again?
· Best Works: Share three best works (assignments, awards, projects you are proud of).
· Beyond High School Plan: What are your post-graduation plans for next year?
· Summary: What were your two most valuable courses at KHS and why?
· Presentation must last between 8 and 12 minutes.
· Students must dress in professional interview attire or volunteer uniform while presenting.
As a result of the senior project requirements being adjusted mid-trimester and needing to honor the presentation work that students had already completed in first trimester we are still requiring all students in American Government to “share” their presentation via google drive with their American Government teachers. That information was not included in the parent letter because first trimester is unique as we transition away from the presentation component of the project. If asked by students please explain to them that while there is no longer a formal presentation they will still need to complete a digital presentation in google slides and share it with their American Government teacher. Thank you for helping support this change.